Permanent curly hair - How do we take care of it?
~ At Zulufita Shop you can find out everything about taking care of your hair ~
How is permanent curly hair obtained and what is it?
Do you want curly or curly hair? You have at hand a possibility that has been used since 1872. Technology has advanced and today it is very easy to get the long-dreamed curls and curls. However, you must be careful, because this method can damage your hair.
There are several methods to get permanent curly hair, from beach waves to perfectly defined and voluminous curls.
In the case of the permanent, certain chemicals are used to change the structure of the hair. The best known method is the one in which the hair stylist wraps the hair on curlers and then applies the chemical solution. After the solution has taken effect, the hair is rinsed and dried and then a neutralization and stabilization solution is applied. Today, other materials are used in the role of traditional curlers, which give different shapes to the curls.
Depending on how long the permanent hair is, it can last from 3 months to 6 months.
How do we take care of permanent curly hair?
There are certain rules you should keep in mind before you decide to get your hair curly permanently. You should not dye your hair before, because both procedures are chemical procedures, the hair can then have a very matte appearance, with split ends and in extreme cases even breakage.
You should also prepare your hair in advance. At least 24 hours before applying the permanent solution you should use a very moisturizing conditioner.
Now that we've talked about what you should do before perming, let's talk about how to take care of permanently curly hair.
1. Do not wash your hair for at least 48 hours after performing the permanent procedure. The permanent solution must settle, so that the immediate washing of the hair weakens the strength of the solution. Also avoid going out in the rain or snow.
2. Although it seems tempting to play with your new curls, for 24-48 hours after applying the solution avoid touching your hair often, due to the fact that the solution must take effect. Also avoid combing it.
3. Immediately after standing for a while, avoid catching your hair very often in ponytails or braiding it, as it could destroy the shape of your curls. If you want to catch your hair in the tail, try to use silk or elastic scarves, which do not tighten and leave traces.
4. If you want to dye your hair, wait a few weeks after applying the perm. Dye your hair stylist to see which dye is the most recommended, so that your hair suffers the least.
5. Trim the tips regularly. Your hair may grow and the length of your hair may affect the structure of the curls. Consult your hair stylist to see how often you need to cut your tips.
6. Apply care methods as if you had wavy or curly hair. What this entails:
- Use products that do not contain parabens and sulfates. You can find out more about sulfate-free shampoos by reading the article our dedicated to these products. Very hard sulfates dry the hair.
- Avoid products that contain alcohol and silicones. Alcohol, if it is among the main ingredients, dries the hair, which will destroy it permanently over time and dry Easter tends to electrify very easily. Silicones can cause build-up, meaning they produce accumulations of product on the hair, so curls are no longer defined.
- Regarding the shampoo and conditioner, look for products that moisturize but are not very creamy, because they can make the hair heavier, so the curls and curls are no longer very defined. You need to find a balance between using products that moisturize your hair and using regular cleansing products that remove hair deposits.
- If you use a curler or plate, opt for products that contain protein, because they help nourish the hair and protect against external factors.
- Wash your hair once a week. Washing very often can remove natural oils from the hair, essential if the hair is very dry. Wash your hair with warm, not hot, water. Rinse your hair well with warm or even cold water.
- Use a hair conditioner. Use conditioners for chemically treated hair or those that protect and repair. The balm is applied from the tips to the root, it is left to act for a few minutes, then it is rinsed very well with warm water. If the hair is very dry, use a conditioner without rinsing.
- After applying the conditioner comb your hair with a comb with sparse teeth or a special brush for curly hair. Comb your hair only when it is wet, not when it is dry. Combing dry hair causes frizz and curls are no longer defined. If you want to comb your hair daily, moisten it a little each time before combing.
- To keep curls, use products that help to curl hair and define curls.
- Use a microfiber towel or a cotton T-shirt to dry your hair, because traditional towels cause hair electrification.
- To dry your hair, use a hair dryer with a speaker or let your hair dry freely. If you still use a traditional hair dryer, dry your hair upside down, without touching it very often and use air that is as cold as possible, not hot.
- If you want to see how to apply the products on permanently curly hair, read on the article our on curly hair products from Jessicurl. You will see video tutorials on the use of different products and different techniques for their application. One of them being e.g. scrunch method. The scrunch method involves, after applying the product along the length of the hair, lightly tightening the curls in the palms so that they form and are defined.
What products can we use if we have permanently curly hair?
We aim to help you find those products that will help you maintain your hair the best, so that you can enjoy your curls and curls for a longer period of time.